[Python-ideas] Syntax for easy binding __name__, __module__, __qualname__ to arbitrary objects

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Tue May 14 08:44:53 CEST 2013

On Tue, May 14, 2013 at 4:37 PM, Greg Ewing <greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz> wrote:
> Nick Coghlan wrote:
>>
>> We've had this discussion before, and any use of "as"
>> should be to bind to a name on the RHS
>

> I don't remember any consensus being reached on this.
> My opinion is that imposing any such restriction on
> the use of "as" would be a foolish consistency that
> rules out a lot of natural-sounding constructs.

As far as I recall, it wasn't consensus, it was Guido saying "No!" to
something I suggested and then me agreeing that his objections made
sense :)

(I forget what I was proposing at the time, though, I just remember it
involved a "NAME as EXPR" clause and Guido really didn't like it for
the reasons I gave)

Cheers,
Nick.