[Python-ideas] sqlite3

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Thu May 16 03:08:07 CEST 2013

Henshaw, Andy writes:

 > Very minor nitpick, but can we deprecate the name "sqlite3" in
 > favor of "sqlite"?

It's probably not a great idea.  Two of the OS distributions I have
installed (Debian and MacPorts) have both sqlite2 and sqlite3.
Another (Gentoo) doesn't provide sqlite2 at all AFAICS, but is
inconsistent about naming: some ebuild names (including the main
library itself) call it "sqlite", but equally many refer to "sqlite3".

sqlite3 may be improper, but it seems to be the unambiguous name.