[Python-ideas] Implicit string literal concatenation considered harmful?

Bruce Leban bruce at leapyear.org
Thu May 16 08:11:54 CEST 2013

On May 15, 2013 10:57 PM, "Andrew Barnert" <abarnert at yahoo.com> wrote:

> As I understand it, the main reason people didn't like Guido's suggestion
of "just use +" was that (because of operator precedence) they'd sometimes
have to add parentheses that are unnecessary today. So, I'm betting it will
be just as unpopular with the same people.

The difference between requiring parens around implicit concatenation and
around uses of + is that leaving the parens out in the first case would be
a syntax error and do the wrong thing in the second case.

--- Bruce
(from my phone)