[Python-ideas] sqlite3

Henshaw, Andy Andy.Henshaw at gtri.gatech.edu
Thu May 16 15:41:28 CEST 2013

From: M.-A. Lemburg [mailto:mal at egenix.com]
>On 16.05.2013 14:18, Henshaw, Andy wrote:
>> From: Stephen J. Turnbull [mailto:stephen at xemacs.org]
>> Henshaw, Andy writes:
>>
>> But, Python only ships one sqlite module.  If there were two versions
>> of the module and the developer needed to choose, then it would make
>> sense.  Why isn't there a tkinter8 to indicate with which version of
>> tcl/tk the module is designed to operate?  It seems like we're just
>> propagating an awkward, vestigial, implementation detail for no good reason.

> sqlite3 requires version 3.x of sqlite. It is not compatible with version 2.x
> of sqlite due to API changes in sqlite, hence the version number in the name.

> Here's the thread discussing the addition:
> http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2006-March/062905.html

Interesting.  It appears that they took the first name suggested, although
there were multiple suggestions of just "sqlite" variants (e.g., db.sqlite or
database.sqlite).

Really, this is not important enough to continue arguing about, so I intend
that this will be my last post on the subject.  However, I don't think that my
point has been addressed.  Python only ships one version of the module, so
there is no important reason to append a version number to the module name.
It's a convention not done for other modules that wrap libraries, excepting maybe
bzip2(bz2) and MD5, but those are the formal names (according to Wikipedia), and
it should be deprecated for sqlite.