[Python-ideas] where statement in Pyret

Greg Ewing greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz
Sun Nov 10 23:10:51 CET 2013

Steven D'Aprano wrote:
> I would prefer to see some variation on Nick Coglan's ideas about a
> "where" keyword for local scoping of temporary variables.

I second that. This is the way mathematicians use the
word "where", and it would be a much better way of
spending a keyword.

> In my experience, for every line of code
> you write, you'll probably need anything from 3-10 lines of test code.

Indeed. Also, the situations where you can meaningfully
test each function on its own using a few concisely-
expressed test cases are relatively rare, IMO. It
looks good for the kind of exercises you find in
programming courses, but it doesn't scale up to
real-life code that requires complex data structures
and test harnesses to be set up.

--
Greg