[Python-ideas] A suggestion for Python 3 vs Python 2

Steven D'Aprano steve at pearwood.info
Tue Nov 12 08:14:04 CET 2013

On Tue, Nov 12, 2013 at 04:31:56PM +1100, Chris Angelico wrote:

> It's funny how many words we have that all quite validly describe the
> concept of producing console output. C calls it "print" (printf), or
> "write"; Python calls it "print"; REXX opts for "say"; C++ goes for
> "cout" (console output)... yet all of them are very clear, in their
> own way, and nobody expects Python to create hard copies or REXX to
> use the speaker :)

I don't know about that. Expecting print to generate hardcopy output is
something which beginners to programming often need to unlearn. If print
doesn't print, which command do you use to actually print?

As for REXX, I expected "say" to use the speaker. That's what the "say"
command does in Applescript, for example.

--
Steven