[Python-ideas] Stdlib YAML evolution (Was: PEP 426, YAML in the stdlib and implementation discovery)

Eric Snow ericsnowcurrently at gmail.com
Wed Nov 13 21:45:43 CET 2013

On Wed, Nov 13, 2013 at 12:34 PM, anatoly techtonik <techtonik at gmail.com> wrote:
> I've written a few parsers in my life, all manual - I don't have much
> experience with flex/yacc kind of things, that's why I asked if anybody
> known a good framework for such stuff.

The wiki has a decent listing of parsing libraries, though I don't
know how up to date it is.

https://wiki.python.org/moin/LanguageParsing

FWIW, I like the idea of a library for a safe subset of YAML.  Paul is
right that it should live on the cheeseshop a while.  You might see if
anyone on python-list has interest in collaborating with you on such a
project.

-eric

p.s. I appreciate your follow-up email.  Your original proposal was
long and hard to follow.  The idea I like here was lost in there, as
evidenced by some of the responses you got.  It was much clearer
today.  Also, those links you gave are nice concrete examples.  I'd
recommend sticking to that formula of a brief, focused proposal
supported by examples.  The examples help to mitigate the
communication breakdowns.