[Python-ideas] Unicode stdin/stdout (was: Re: python 3.3repr)

Draic Kin drekin at gmail.com
Tue Nov 19 18:31:46 CET 2013

(Sorry for posting twice, forgot to add the list to Cc.)

On Tue, Nov 19, 2013 at 6:08 PM, <random832 at fastmail.us> wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 19, 2013, at 4:46, drekin at gmail.com wrote:
> > I really wanted to be able to write Unicode in Windows console, so I have
> > written the following code: http://bugs.python.org/file31756/streams.py
> > (based on other samples of code I found), in connection with
> > http://bugs.python.org/issue1602 . It addresses the design of using as
> > much as possible from io hierarchy. It definitely doesn't cover many
> > details but I actually use it in my interactive console.
>
> For this whole tactic of "using as much as possible from the io
> hierarchy" and acting like a raw stream that reads UTF-16 bytes, I'm
> worried that at some point it's going to run into something that tries
> to read a single byte - to which your code will return 0.

Well, if you use the textio object than there are no problems and you
couldn't use buffered or raw io at all with the other approach. If you try
to read one byte from raw io, it just returns b''. More serious problems
occur with buffered io if you somehow get a buffer of odd length. In that
case flush call ends in infinity loop. Some of these could be solved by
adding some checking code to buffered io which will raise an exception if
you try to do something bad.