[Python-ideas] Update the required C compiler for Windows to a supported version.

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Wed Nov 27 16:04:07 CET 2013

On 27.11.2013 15:33, M.-A. Lemburg wrote:
> On 27.11.2013 15:03, Vernon D. Cole wrote:
>> Before anyone starts flaming me about "off topic" -- I already know that my
>> suggestion is going to be different from what is usually discussed on this
>> group.  I may not write often, but I am a faithful reader (a.k.a. lurker).
>> Please bear with me.  I am not aware of any other place where what I am
>> about to say is _on_ topic.  ...
>>
>> Yesterday, I set out to try installing a medium-size django application on
>> Windows. It did not go well.  It is now 24 hours later -- and I have tried
>> many things.  The problem was that "pip" needed to compile a module.  There
>> was no C compiler on the machine.  After 24 hours of web searching and
>> trying many things, I have come to the following conclusion:  I cannot
>> compile a Python extension module with any Microsoft compiler I can obtain.
>>
>>   My new Windows 8.1 computer is running Visual Studio 2013 -- which would
>> be fine if I wanted to compile my own Python interpreter, I suppose.  I
>> spent most of the day trying to find a working Visual Studio 2008 or C++
>> 7.1 compiler.  The only things I could find to download were patches for
>> Visual Studio 2010. I tried several variations to install it on my old
>> Windows 7 laptop -- all to no avail.
>
> Here's the ISO file for VS 2008 SP1 Express:
>
> http://download.microsoft.com/download/E/8/E/E8EEB394-7F42-4963-A2D8-29559B738298/VS2008ExpressWithSP1ENUX1504728.iso
>
> I cannot say whether it runs on Windows 7, but would be surprised
> if it didn't.
>
>> May I humbly suggest that Python 3.4 be released using  Microsoft Visual
>> Studio Express 2013 for Windows
>> Desktop<http://www.visualstudio.com/en-us/downloads>,
>> a (free) compiler which will actually run on the current version of
>> Windows?
>>
>> That's the Python Idea that I am requesting.
>
> The express versions don't provide some of the optimizations
> used for the Python binaries shipped on python.org and at
> least earlier versions also did not allow cross-compiling
> 64-bit versions (but that may have changed now that 64-bit
> is becoming the standard).

Looks like the cross compiling is supported, but native
the native x64 bit compiler is missing in the 2013 express
versions:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hs24szh9%28v=vs.120%29.aspx

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Nov 27 2013)

               http://www.egenix.com/company/contact/