[Python-ideas] Extremely weird itertools.permutations

Neil Girdhar mistersheik at gmail.com
Fri Oct 11 20:38:33 CEST 2013

"It is universally agreed that a list of n distinct symbols has n!
permutations. However, when the symbols are not distinct, the most common
convention, in mathematics and elsewhere, seems to be to count only
distinct permutations." —
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/6534430/why-does-pythons-itertools-permutations-contain-duplicates-when-the-original.

Should we consider fixing itertools.permutations and to output only unique
permutations (if possible, although I realize that would break code). It is
completely non-obvious to have permutations returning duplicates. For a
non-breaking compromise what about adding a flag?

Best,
Neil