[Python-ideas] Extremely weird itertools.permutations

Mark Dickinson dickinsm at gmail.com
Mon Oct 14 14:29:04 CEST 2013

On Sun, Oct 13, 2013 at 9:56 PM, Neil Girdhar <mistersheik at gmail.com> wrote:

> By complete I meant that just as if you were to add the "error function,
> erf" to math, you would want to add an equivalent version to cmath.

An interesting choice of example.  *Why* would you want to do so?

Since you bring this up, I assume you're already aware that math.erf exists
but cmath.erf does not.  I believe there are good, practical reasons *not*
to add cmath.erf, in spite of the existence of math.erf.  Not least of
these is that cmath.erf would be significantly more complicated to
implement and of significantly less interest to users.  And perhaps there's
a parallel with itertools.permutations and the proposed
itertools.multiset_permutations here...

--
Mark