[Python-ideas] A different kind of context manager

Kristján Valur Jónsson kristjan at ccpgames.com
Thu Oct 24 17:59:10 CEST 2013

I'm not sure about anything :).  In particular, I don't know where Ruby's object model originates.
And Ruby 1.0 came out in 1996.
I'm sure that the model of "object" and "type" (or other equivalent names) is older, though.  Could be a simplification of
Smalltalk's object model, for example.   Well, looking this up, this is what Wikipedia says, in fact.
But I recall someone, somewhere, mentioning that this system is based on a proper Paper by someone :)
But Python and Ruby's models are quite similar in structure.
I don't know if Python's new-style classes were inspired by Ruby or not, perhaps it is a case of
convergent evolution.

Cheers,