[Python-ideas] Another indentation style

Steven D'Aprano steve at pearwood.info
Mon Sep 2 02:30:25 CEST 2013

On 01/09/13 21:49, Musical Notation wrote:

> View my original proposal in a fixed-width font and you will understand it.

Your assumption that I didn't use a fixed-width font is wrong. I *always* use fixed-width fonts for email. And don't imagine that the only reason I could disagree with your proposal is that I don't understand it. I understand your proposal very well, and still disagree.

>  That indentation style is quite idiomatic in Haskell.

Irrelevant. Python does not have a "let name=value" statement, so the Haskell "let" idiom does not apply. There is an enormous difference between the leading fixed-width "let" and variable-width "if" clauses:

let x = value
     y = name
let extremely_long_name_that_goes_on_and_on = value
     name = value
let foo = value
     bar = value

if f: do_this()