[Python-ideas] Should we improve `dir`?

David Halter davidhalter88 at gmail.com
Sat Sep 14 21:15:14 CEST 2013

I recently stumbled over `dir()` not working correctly in the case of

In short:

`dir` doesn't list the `type` methods, which it should in my opinion,
because there are very important attributes in there like `__name__` or

This led to some confusion in the past, e.g.

The long version is in the above link.

After discussions, I realized that I should probably bring this up in
python-ideas, I think the current implementation can be very confusing for
people trying to introspect classes with `dir`, which is IMHO its typical
use case.