[Python-ideas] Add dict.getkey() and set.get()

David Mertz mertz at gnosis.cx
Sun Sep 15 01:49:04 CEST 2013

> On Sat, Sep 14, 2013 at 09:52:30AM -0700, David Mertz wrote:
> > def getexact(m, v):
> >     for x in m:
> >         if x==v: return x
> >     else:
> >         raise KeyError(v)
>
> This has the flaw that it is O(N) rather than O(1).

It's true, it is relatively inefficient.  But we also don't have a use case
where we actually need to do this enough that it matters.

> Now O(N) is tolerable if all you want to do is retrieve the canonical
> version of a single key. But if you want to do so for *all* of the keys
> in the dict, the naive way to do it ends up walking the dict for
> each key,

I thought the naive way to retrieve ALL the keys (in canonical form) was
'mydict.keys()'. :-)

I'm sure you can spin other variations on this.  Here's all the keys except
one, removed using a non-canonical equivalent value:

>>> {1:2, 3:4, 5:6, 7:8}.keys() - {Decimal(1.0)}
{3, 5, 7}

It's true though that I can't think of an efficient way to get the
canonical form of a key from a dictionary in O(1).  But also I think it is
rare enough not to worry, and TransformDict is a good specialization that
will do this in those unusual cases where we care.