[Python-ideas] Reduce platform dependence of date and time related functions

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Wed Sep 18 03:37:05 CEST 2013

On 18 September 2013 11:30,  <random832 at fastmail.us> wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 17, 2013, at 17:15, Ethan Furman wrote:
>> Is timegm/gmtime provided and consistent across all Python platforms?
>
> Part of what I was proposing was _to_ provide a consistent
> implementation - there's no reason (if we define timestamps as being
> objectively based in 1970 and having no leap seconds) that it couldn't
> be provided in python itself instead of  using the system's version.

Yeah, this is a similar change to the one that was made for math.c
years ago - stepping up from merely relying on the system libraries to
ensuring a consistent cross-platform experience. It's just a concern
with initial development and long term maintenance effort, rather than
a fundamental desire to expose the raw platform behaviour (there are
*some* modules where we want to let developers have access to the
underlying platform specific behaviour, but the datetime APIs aren't
really one of them)

Cheers,
Nick.