[Python-ideas] Numerical instability was: Re: Introduce collections.Reiterable

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Fri Sep 20 22:01:28 CEST 2013

On 9/20/2013 6:45 AM, Oscar Benjamin wrote:

> I'm going to assume that numerical instability is just a way of saying
> that a method is inaccurate in some cases.

Good enough for me.

> Although the incremental algorithm is much better than the naive
> approach Steven (knowingly) showed above I don't think it's true that
> constraining yourself to a single pass doesn't limit the possible
> accuracy.

That may be one difference between integer and float arithmetic. The
order of operations makes a difference.

> Another point of relevance here is that the incremental
> formula cannot be as efficiently implemented in Python since you don't
> get to take advantage of the super fast math.fsum function which is
> also more accurate than a naive Kahan algorithm.

Yes. One of the differences between 'theoretical' algorithms and
practical algorithms coded in CPython is the bias toward using functions
already coded in C.

> The script at the bottom of this post tests a few methods on a
> deliberately awkward set of random numbers and typical output is:

Thanks for doing this.

> $ ./stats.py
> exact: 0.989661716301
> naive -> error = -21476.0408922
> incremental -> error = -1.0770901604e-07
> two_pass -> error = 1.29118937764e-13
> three_pass -> error = 0.0

The incremental method is good enough for data measured to 3 significant
figures, as is typical in as least parts of some sciences, and the data
I worked with for a decade. But it is not good enough for substantially
more accurate data. The Python statistics module should cater to the
latter. The doc should just say that is requires a serially re-iterable
input. (A person with data too large to fit in memory could write an
iterable that opens a file and returns an iterator that reads blocks of
values and yields them one at a time.)

The incremental method is useful for returning running means and
deviations for data collected sporadically and indefinitely, without
needing to store the cumulative data. It is a nice, non-obvious example
of the principle that it is sometimes possible to summarize cumulative
data with a relatively small and fixed set of sufficient statistics.

> For these numbers the three_pass method usually has an error of 0 but
> otherwise  1ulp (1e-16). (It can actually be collapsed into a two pass
> method but then we couldn't use fsum.)
>
> If you know of a one-pass algorithm (or a way to improve the
> implementation I showed) that is as accurate as either the two_pass or
> three_pass methods I'd be very interested to see it (I'm sure Steven
> would be as well).

If I were trying to improve the incremental variance algorithm, I would
study the fsum method until a really understood it and then see if I
could apply the same ideas.

--
Terry Jan Reedy