[Python-ideas] Introduce collections.Reiterable

Andrew Barnert abarnert at yahoo.com
Sat Sep 21 06:43:26 CEST 2013

On Sep 20, 2013, at 21:16, Neil Girdhar <mistersheik at gmail.com> wrote:

> You're right that you should go ahead and use something however you want to.  However, there are plenty of times where you can't do that, e.g., you want to know if something is callable before calling it,

Why? What's the harm in just calling it and handling the exception? And surely, if you really need to LBYL here, you need to know that it's callable with the argument you plan to pass it.

There are good uses for checking if something is callable, but this isn't a good example. And it's very different from your other example.

> and similarly if something is reiterable before iterating it and exhausting.

This one is different. You can't just handle failure, because (a) there's no unambiguous sign of failure, and (b) it's too late to deal with it if you've already exhausted the iterator.

However, if you just turn the test around, it _is_ syntactically checkable: if "isinstance(it, Iterator)", or "iter(it) is it" or "hasattr(it, __next__)" or "next(it)" doesn't raise... then you have to do a single-pass algorithm or tee the values or make a list or whatever.

Either Reiterable is just Iterable and not Iterator (barring any flaws in the definition of Iterable, which is a separate problem), or it's not an abstract type.

And if it's just Iterable and not Iterator, besides being complicated to implement (you can't inherit from the negation of a class), it's also more complicated to use. The obvious use case is: If you get an Iterator, you have to tee, make a list, use a one-pass algorithm instead of two-pass, whatever. Rewriting that instead as if you get an Iterable but it's not a Reiterable buys you nothing but verbosity. Turning it around so if you get a Reiterable you can skip the fallback just means a double negative that's harder to process.