[Python-ideas] Introduce collections.Reiterable

Andrew Barnert abarnert at yahoo.com
Sun Sep 22 21:23:43 CEST 2013

On Sep 22, 2013, at 9:28, Terry Reedy <tjreedy at udel.edu> wrote:

> On 9/21/2013 10:05 PM, Andrew Barnert wrote:
>> On Sep 21, 2013, at 15:31, Terry Reedy
>> <tjreedy at udel.edu> wrote:

>>> I already posted a sensible non-iterator iterable that is no more
>>> reiterable than an iterator.
>
> class Cnt:
>    def __init__(self, maxn):
>        self.n = 0
>        self.maxn = maxn
>    def __getitem__(self, dummy):
>        n = self.n + 1
>        if n <= self.maxn:
>            self.n = n
>            return n
>        else:
>            raise IndexError

But this is a silly class, not a reasonable one. Why would you ever write this class, except to deceive users of it? It's more complicated and more verbose than an equivalent iterator, or the equivalent sequence (which you'd spell "range(n)", and the only "benefit" is that it pretends not to be an iterator.

You can just as easily write something that claims to be a sequence but iterates it's elements in random order; that wouldn't prove that sequences are unordered, just that the ABCs don't test for all possible incorrect semantics.