[Python-ideas] +1 button/counter for bugs.python.org

Brian Curtin brian at python.org
Mon Sep 23 00:57:53 CEST 2013

On Sun, Sep 22, 2013 at 7:03 AM, Antoine Pitrou <solipsis at pitrou.net> wrote:
> On Sun, 22 Sep 2013 14:21:07 +0300
> anatoly techtonik <techtonik at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> Does anybody think it is a good idea to personally approve good issues and
>> messages on bugs.python.org?
>
> Bug voting would be ok (not for "good issues", but "issues people care
> about"), but -1 on voting on messages. This isn't a popularity contest.

Adding a +1 on issues seems fine, but I doubt it'll change anything. I
think, for the most part, we're pretty aware of issues people care
about that need to be fixed. We'll probably need to document the
feature to set expectations for what those votes actually mean, which
is probably close to nothing.

I can mostly just see this being abused. "Remove the GIL" will get
submitted, then posted to reddit, then we'll have 5,000 votes to
remove the GIL and zero attempts to do it.