[Python-ideas] `OrderedDict.sort`

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Tue Sep 24 18:02:33 CEST 2013

Ram Rachum writes:

 > I disagree with defining the entire class as an insertion ordering
 > class and refusing

There's no refusal.  It's just not in the battery pack.

 > to allow users to reorder it as they wish after it's created.

You can put your inefficient but useful implementation on PyPI.
You can write a PEP in which
you define the API.
You can provide an efficient implementation suitable for the stdlib, or
you can convince the gatekeepers that it doesn't need to be efficient.
You can promise to maintain it for 5 years.[1]

Why don't you?  Four or five hackers do it every cycle (although
sometimes it takes more than a cycle to actually get approval).
Recent successes include Ethan and Steven, who are giving you the
benefit of their experience.

OTOH, the barrier for mere suggestions (even backed up by proof of
concept implementations) these days is quite high.  You need to
convince somebody to do all of the above, which usually requires an
argument that it's at least tricky to do right, and perhaps hard to do
at all.

Footnotes:
[1]  Or whatever the going rate is these days.