[Python-ideas] `OrderedDict.sort`

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Wed Sep 25 06:27:08 CEST 2013

Andrew Barnert writes:

 > See http://stupidpythonideas.blogspot.com/2013/07/sorted-collections-in-stdlib.html,
 > which I wrote one or two iterations ago to collect all of the
 > issues, and please let me know if I missed any or you have anything
 > to add.

A small nit: SortedSequence and SortedDicts should be mappings,
guaranteeing "fast" (preferably O(1)) access for any key (integral and
arbitrary, respectively).  Therefore, in the case of a SortedDict the
user should be no more surprised at a complaint about hashability than
they should be in the case of a dict (especially considering the name!)

I'll grant that some users might be perfectly happy with O(log N)
"reasonably fast" access, but others would not be pleased.