[Python-ideas] +1 button/counter for bugs.python.org

Georg Brandl g.brandl at gmx.net
Wed Sep 25 08:59:05 CEST 2013

Am 23.09.2013 10:14, schrieb Antoine Pitrou:
> Le Mon, 23 Sep 2013 10:12:39 +1000,
> Steven D'Aprano <steve at pearwood.info> a
> écrit :
>> On Sun, Sep 22, 2013 at 05:52:58PM +0200, Tshepang Lekhonkhobe wrote:

>> > Is it not enough that one can subscribe to the bug? It's very easy
>> > (click the '+' button, then hit subscribe). That way, one can also
>> > keep track of where the conversation is going, instead of a mere
>> > vote-n-forget.
>>
>> Exactly.
>>
>> I think that masses of +1 votes from people who care so little about
>> an issue that they can't be bothered to add themselves to the Nosy
>> list is next to worthless.
>
> I don't know about you, but I don't add myself to the Nosy list of
> every bug that irks me on third-party software. There's no reason to
> subscribe to an issue's messages when you are a mere end-user. That
> doesn't mean the bug isn't affecting you.

I agree.

We don't have to call it "vote"; a second-tier nosy list would probably
the most useful thing for both sides:

a button [This affects me]

meaning "please count me amoung those who like to see it fixed and
send me an email when the issue is closed"

But I think that effort may be better spent on some of the existing
98 open issues in the meta-tracker here: http://psf.upfronthosting.co.za/
unless this feature is contributed.

cheers,
Georg