[Python-ideas] Browser for mailing lists

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Tue Apr 1 17:30:36 CEST 2014

On Apr 01, 2014, at 09:01 AM, Ben Finney wrote:

>Which is why I prefer NNTP: it is ideal for *both* these purposes. One
>can quickly dip into a forum, follow a thread for a while, and
>unsubscribe just as easily. On the other hand, for high-commitment
>communication, having all the forums together and threaded is excellent.

Yes, exactly.

>Having all of this in a single NNTP client interface makes discussion on
>dozens of forums much more manageable than either “web forums” (*spit*)
>or mailing lists.

My only beef with Gmane is that it should be able to maintain a global
reputation service.  E.g. if I post to a few newsgroups with my python.org
address, then after a N-confirmation dances, it should allow me to post to any
newsgroup (well, any that is linked to an upstream list with a compatible
posting policy).

That's one of the things that an NNTP interface to MM3 would allow, and I
think it would work more smoothly.  Of course, the nice thing about Gmane is
that it collates lists across many administrative domains, so I don't think an
NNTP-aware MM3 would replace Gmane.

(The other thing I want to do is make it one-click for a list admin to opt
into Gmane.  That actually should be pretty easy, and maybe the default for
public discussion lists.)

>> In the meantime, making GMane more discoverable by suggesting it as an
>> alternative to subscription in the various list descriptions sounds
>> reasonable to me.
>
>GMane survives on sponsorship and donations. If we're sending more and
>more people to use that service, perhaps we can suggest supporting them
>financially too?

+1.  They're good folks and provide the entire FLOSS world a huge benefit.

-Barry