[Python-ideas] Browser for mailing lists

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Tue Apr 1 17:38:25 CEST 2014

On Apr 01, 2014, at 10:22 AM, Chris Angelico wrote:

>Drifting off-topic, but I think this is actually a subtle feature.
>I've often joined a mailing list to ask one specific question, and
>then seen questions that I can help answer. In fact, that's how I came
>to be stuck on python-list and family... of course, other people may
>not see that as a positive feature...

Another feature/wishlist of MM3 is a reputation service where, let's say
you've engaged with three lists on python.org.  Each time you've had to do a
email address confirmation dance, and get your postings moderated.  Once
you've done that a couple of times across a few lists (configurable via admin
knobs), you're deemed a member of the *site* in good standing.  Now you can
post to any list that opts in with no further confirmations.  If you game the
system to spam, an admin can lower your reputation and then all your posts
would be moderated or discarded.

I think a system like this would really make it very easy for users to have
both long term engagements with some lists, and low-barrier short term
drive-by engagements with others.

-Barry