[Python-ideas] A namedtuple literal.

Philipp A. flying-sheep at web.de
Wed Apr 2 18:34:00 CEST 2014

But when you have a key name defined in a variable, you’ll need to do

key = 'spam'
o = {}
o[key] = 'ham'

Where in Python, you’d simply write {key: ‘ham’}.

So for Python, I think that having unquoted keys in literals is a bad idea.

i totally agree for dicts, but here i don’t. instead i’d require unquoted
keys like in kwargs.

   1.

   the key here needs to be a valid identifier to be accessed using
   namedtuple.key_name.

   this could be ensured by the parser if only unquoted keys are allowed,
   not if string keys or even variable keys containing arbitrary objects are
   allowed
    2.

   i don’t actually want this to be something with dynamic keys.

   it’s supposed to be a namedtuple, and namedtuples are static as well
   regarding their keys.

   i think it’s best to encourage that functions returning namedtuples only
   return one kind of them, so that you can ensure that returnvalue.my_keyworks.