[Python-ideas] REG: Scope of a better API for JSON parser

Anoop Thomas Mathew atmb4u at gmail.com
Sun Apr 6 04:58:24 CEST 2014

I went through the state of cpython JSON parser, and found that there is a
scope for improvement in the parser interface.

I have been thinking of implementing a class called QuickParse inside json
module, which will tidy up the process of finding node, and *cuts down a
number of for loops, if .. else and try ... except blocks.*

For eg.

sample_json = {
'name' : 'John Doe',
'age' : 45,
'level': 'Expert',
'languages': [
              'C',
              'C++',
              'Python',
              'Clojure'
              ],
    'account details': {
         'account number': 1233312312,
         'account balance': 1000000000.00
     }
}

sample_json can be a file or string

*json_doc = QuickParse(sample_json)*

*json_doc.get(["name"])*
'John Doe'

 *json_doc.get(["languages", 2])*
 'C++'

*json_doc.get(["account details", "account balance"])*
1000000000.00

*json_doc.get(["notpresent"]) *
None

This is something I've been using in many number of projects, due to the
complexity of the json documents these days. Also, there is a plan to
provide option to use functions for iterating over the document, as well as
selection ranges for expected values.

Looking forward to hear everyone's  views on this.

regards,
ATM