[Python-ideas] Python-specific Travis CI

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Fri Apr 18 21:43:56 CEST 2014

On 18 April 2014 15:07, Donald Stufft <donald at stufft.io> wrote:
> On Apr 18, 2014, at 2:04 PM, David Wilson <dw+python-ideas at hmmz.org> wrote:
>> In my travails to get py-lmdb (github.com/dw/py-lmdb) into a state I can depend on, I've been exploring continuous integration options since sometime mid last year, in the hopes of finding the simplest option that allows the package to be tested on all sensible versions of Python that I might bump into in a commercial environment.
>>
>> It seems this simple task currently yields one solution - Travis CI, except that by default Travis supports neither Windows, nor any version of Python older than about 3 months, without requiring serious manual configuration and maintenance.

And has the added downside of only working with GitHub (alas, the
demise of Shining Panda CI rather narrowed the field of non-GitHub
reliant CI options).

Anyway, building out CPython's continuous integration infrastructure
is indeed on my todo list, but that will be a long term project, and
focus on CPython first (the new core-workflow list will be the home of
any discussions about that, although it ay bleed over into the
infrastructure SIG at times).

Doing CI well is a genuinely hard problem, and that applies even when
you trust the software being tested. Testing untrusted software ups
the difficulty considerably.

Regards,
Nick.