[Python-ideas] py launcher for Linux?

Vernon D. Cole vernondcole at gmail.com
Sat Apr 19 04:33:32 CEST 2014

> Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2014 18:27:04 -0400
> From: Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan at gmail.com>
>
> On 18 April 2014 15:49, ?ric Araujo <merwok at netwok.org> wrote:
> >
> >   It seems to me the problem is defined as specific to Windows, and the
> > solution takes inspiration from other operating systems.  I think a new
> > rationale explaining why bring back that solution to these other OSes is
> > needed.
>
> It would be about removing the current cross-platform discrepancy in
> the instructions at
>
> https://docs.python.org/3/installing/#work-with-multiple-versions-of-python-installed-in-parallel
>
> Not a high priority for me personally, but I figured it was worth
> mentioning in case it captured someone's interest.
>
> Cheers,
> Nick.

+1

I am a switch hitter. I spend almost as much time on Windows as on Linux,
and to keep myself from being completely  confused, I make the environments
as similar as possible.  The most frequently-used utility on my Windows box
must be "ls.bat" (which runs "dir").

It is true that the "real reason" for py.exe was to enable #! processing,
and that works wonderfully -- mine also launches IronPython, Jython, PyPy,
and (just to prove a point) Perl. [Trivia: hello_world.pl runs perfectly in
Python.]

But, the "py" command-line command is really habit forming. For weeks now,
"py: command not found" has been haunting me.

Somehow the name "Python Launcher for Windows for Linux" sounds wrong, but
I want one. It works so well.