[Python-ideas] Restitute imp.load_source or equivalent in Python 3?

Mart Sõmermaa mrts.pydev at gmail.com
Mon Dec 8 12:13:37 CET 2014

http://bugs.python.org/issue14551 discusses the deprecation and removal of
imp.load_source. In the discussion, there seems to be a general consensus
that (1) a convenience function for loading modules from an arbitrary file
is a good thing and (2) that many people use it.

I can only concur, the need for loading a module from an arbitrary file
without having to worry about sys.path or __init__.py is useful for
supporting plugin-like extensibility/configurability and I personally use
imp.load_source in a couple of projects.

However, the discussions in http://bugs.python.org/issue14551 seemed to
have died off without any clear decision for action.

Can we consider adding such a convenience function to importlib in Python 3?

Best,
Mart Sõmermaa