[Python-ideas] [Python-Dev] Python 2.x and 3.x use survey, 2014 edition

Nathaniel Smith njs at pobox.com
Fri Dec 12 06:41:21 CET 2014

On 11 Dec 2014 15:14, "Donald Stufft" <donald at stufft.io> wrote:

> This information is a few months old mostly because I’m lazy and creating
the information is a pain in the ass.

http://d.stufft.io/image/0B233A151k1k
> Total Downloads for Python Version: http://d.stufft.io/image/3f3f3g3P181M
> Bonus - OS Downloads: http://d.stufft.io/image/021v383I0O2c
>
> All of the above filter out anything that has an extremely small number
of downloads so as not to overwhelm the graphs with a ton of small barely
used things.

Neat data, thanks for sharing!

I do wonder how meaningful it is, though, because my impression is that
PyPI download numbers are overwhelmingly driven by automated test and
deployment systems (e.g. Travis-CI) that end up downloading the same
dependencies dozens of times a day. Among other things this would explain
how it could be that Linux downloads appear to outnumber Windows downloads
by an unbelievable factor of ~30x (!). This doesn't invalidate the numbers,
of course, but it does mean they may only represent one specific slice of
Python's userbase.

Another way to get a sense of py2 versus py3 usage is to look at download
counts for version-specific wheels on non-linux systems. Some quick playing
with vanity suggests that lxml windows downloads are about 10% py3 (even
though the only py3 builds they offer are for 32-bit py3.2!), and numpy osx
downloads are about 19% py3. I don't know how representative these numbers
are either, but they're dramatically higher than what you found. If
someone's curious it might be worth trying this approach more
systematically.

-n