[Python-ideas] A service to crawl +1s and URLs out of mailman archives

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Fri Dec 19 12:10:17 CET 2014

On 19 December 2014 at 20:39, Wes Turner <wes.turner at gmail.com> wrote:

> > TL;DR I really like the "Agree, Abstain, Disagree, Block" distinction;
> it would be great to somehow integrate with email, somehow.
>
> I can't help but wonder whether this could be implemented by extending
> OpenAnnotation [1][2][3] (JSON-LD RDF) for **any URI**, like the Hypothesis
> [4] OpenAnnotation web service and Annotator JS / browser extension. [5]
>
> [1] http://openannotation.org/spec/core/
> [2] http://openannotation.org/spec/core/specific.html#Selectors
> [3] http://www.w3.org/annotation/
> [4] https://github.com/hypothesis/h (Pyramid)
> [5] https://github.com/hypothesis/annotator (OKFN)
>
> Alas, mailing list posts do not have easily-gettable URIs (like Reddit
> comment permalinks).

We're getting fairly well off-topic for python-ideas now (since anything we
do in this area will likely only be by way of upgrading to Mailman 3 and
HyperKitty), but I do highly recommend getting in touch with the HyperKitty
devs on their mailing list. It takes advantage of the new archiving design
in Mailman 3 to add the archive server permalink for the post to the footer
before it gets sent to the list members.

Cheers,
Nick.

P.S. Barry's write-up of the Mailman 3 architecture is also well worth a
read in general: http://www.aosabook.org/en/mailman.html