[Python-ideas] Type Hinting - Performance booster ?

Ludovic Gasc gmludo at gmail.com
Sun Dec 21 00:55:51 CET 2014

Hi,

I'm only a simple Python developer, not a Type Hinting expert and I don't
know if you already discuss about that somewhere, but:

With the future official support of Type Hinting in Python, is it means
that CPython could use this pieces of information to store variables with
more efficient data structures, not only check types ?

It could possible to have better performance one day with Type Hinting like
you have with Cython (explicit types declaration) or PyPy (guessing types) ?

Is it realistic to except that one day, or I've missed some mountains ;-) ?

If this is correct, better performances will be a great consequence for
Type Hinting, more people will be interested in by this feature, as we have
with AsyncIO (BTW, I'm working to publish benchmarks on this, I'll publish
that on AsyncIO ML).

Regards.
--
Ludovic Gasc