[Python-ideas] Type Hinting - Performance booster ?

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Mon Dec 22 00:20:38 CET 2014

On Mon, Dec 22, 2014 at 6:23 AM, Ludovic Gasc <gmludo at gmail.com> wrote:
> To be honest, I'm a little bit tired to listen some bias like "Python is
> slow", "not good for performance", "you must use C/Java/Erlang/Go..."
> For me, Python has the right compromise to write quickly readable source
> code and performance possibilities to speed up your code.
>
> More we have primitives in CPython to build performant applications, more it
> will be easier to convince people to use Python.

There may be something to that. Most of the people I've heard moaning
that "Python is slow" aren't backing that up with any actual facts.
Telling people "Add these type hints to your code if you feel like it"
might satisfy their need for red tape and the gut feeling that it's
speeding up the code.

ChrisA