[Python-ideas] Type Hinting - Performance booster ?

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Mon Dec 22 17:42:51 CET 2014

On 22 December 2014 at 22:05, Sturla Molden <sturla.molden at gmail.com> wrote:

> So who says Python is slow? I think today, mostly people who don't know
> what they are talking about.
>
> We see Python running at the biggest HPC systems today. We see Python
> algorithms beating anything we can throw at it with C++ or Fortran. It is
> time to realize that the flexibility of Python is not just a slowdown, it
> is also a speed boost because it makes it easier to write flexible and
> complex algorithms. But yes, Python needs help from Numba or Cython, and
> sometimes even Fortran (f2py), to achieve its full potential.

Yep - the challenge is to:

a) communicate the potential of these tools effectively to new Python users
b) ensure these tools are readily available to them (without turning into a
build nightmare)

A profiling HOWTO (especially one that highlights visual tools like
SnakeViz) may be helpful on the first point, but the second one is a fair
bit harder to address in the general case.

Cheers,
Nick.