[Python-ideas] Type Hinting - Performance booster ?

Ron Adam ron3200 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 26 21:03:42 CET 2014

On 12/26/2014 11:13 AM, Antoine Pitrou wrote:
> On Wed, 24 Dec 2014 13:04:01 -0600
> Ron Adam<ron3200 at gmail.com>  wrote:
>> >
>> >My thoughts is that making python easier to multi-process on multi-core
>> >CPUs will be where the biggest performance gains will be.  Think of 100
>> >core chips in as soon as 5 or 6 years.

> Won't happen on mainstream computers
> (laptop/desktop/tablet/smartphone), as it's a totally silly thing to
> do there.

Which is silly?, 100 cores, or making python easier to multi-process?

The 5 or 6 years figure is my optimistic expectation for high end
workstations and servers. Double that time for typical desktop, and maybe
triple that for wearable devices.

Currently you can get 8 core high end desktop systems, and up to 18 core
work stations with windows 8.  They probably run python too.

I think the unknown is how much time it will take, not weather or not it
will happen.

Cheers,
    Ron