[Python-ideas] python on mobile

Fetchinson . fetchinson at googlemail.com
Mon Dec 29 21:48:07 CET 2014

>> I completely understand your point but at this stage I'm only thinking
>> of hobby projects that will probably be used by myself, my wife and
>> our family. Nothing mainstream, google playable, etc.
>>
>> For larger scale projects I'd completely agree with you, python 3 is
>> the way to go.
>
> Python 3 isn't just better for large projects. It's better for _every_
> project. Just because you think you won't ever need non-ASCII
> characters doesn't mean you won't ever get any; why not take the easy
> way out and use Py3? (Case in point: I just sent through a pull
> request on a project that had a ≤ (U+2264) in a comment. Py2
> complained because it used a non-ASCII character and didn't have a
> coding cookie. Py3 would have accepted it, though sadly it wasn't a
> Py3-compatible script for other reasons. ASCII simply isn't enough.)

I'm not sure I understand you. Are you saying unicode support is not
there in python 2? That's certainly not the case. I believe that
python 3 is more *convenient* but certainly is not necessary, it's
perfectly possible to handle any character set in python 2 as well.

Or is there something I'm missing?

Cheers,
Daniel