[Python-ideas] Adding `pathlib.Path` method that would send file to recycle bin

random832 at fastmail.us random832 at fastmail.us
Mon Dec 29 22:15:27 CET 2014

On Mon, Dec 29, 2014, at 13:58, Andrew Barnert wrote:
> There isn't really a low-level function for it on any platform but maybe
> Windows, except rename, which is already there.

The Windows function for this is SHFileOperation, which isn't really
low-level (but doesn't require a message loop).

> On OS X, unless you want to use higher-level CoreFoundation APIs that
> require a runloop, you just look up the name of the trash directory
> (which I believe is theoretically localized but actually always ~/.Trash
> on the drive with your user directory, $mnt/.Trash otherwise)

Is it not uid-specific? Windows and XDG trash directories are
uid-specific.

A google search shows that it's $mnt/.Trashes/$uid.

> And I don't know what the right thing to do on OS X would be for a file
> on a different filesystem than the user's home that doesn't have its own
> .Trash or is mounted read-only or no-trash.

If it's mounted read-only, you have a bigger problem.

Another possible issue could be: bad permission on trash directory, bad
permission or nonexistent parent directory that trash directory must be
created in (home or .Trashes). These are also all issues that must be
faced for XDG.

XDG has a database of original location and deleted date for files in
the trash - does OSX? (according to the tool I found, it does, at least
for original location, but only works if you use Finder to trash the
files)

> Finder gives you a popup in
> each of those cases asking if you want to delete it immediately because
> it can't be trashed. And similarly for Linux, but the details are
> different (especially since you might not even have a home trash).

Another option would be to just script Finder with osascript. The tool
http://hasseg.org/trash/ has objc code to "directly" script Finder
without actually going through osascript. When it does not use Finder,
it uses FSMoveObjectToTrashSync, which seems to be depreciated.