[Python-ideas] Make it optional

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Wed Feb 12 03:57:25 CET 2014

anatoly techtonik writes:

 > Except that for some of my projects history, documentation,
 > milestones and tags all use (semantic) versioning, which appears to
 > be incompatible with this PEP.

There's some sort of feature for mapping semantic ("generic") version
tags to PEP-compatible version strings.  Please find out what it is,
*before* you reply, and explain why it doesn't work for you.

 > No matter how big the PEP 440 is going to get, it unlikely to cover
 > all use cases that people have for package versions.

It's unlikely to get bigger.  PEP 440 is not just about coming up with
a regular notation for versions; it is also about dependency
computations.  There's enough junk in there for that.