[Python-ideas] docs.python.org: Short URLs

Ryan Hiebert ryan at ryanhiebert.com
Mon Feb 17 17:40:04 CET 2014

On Mon, Feb 17, 2014 at 10:17 AM, <random832 at fastmail.us> wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 17, 2014, at 10:24, Ryan Hiebert wrote:
> > I'm not sure that just these URLs are going to be any more helpful than
> > what we currently have:
> >
> > ``http://docs.python.org/3.2/library/functions.html#str``
> >
> I, personally, if given a URL consisting of only "str", would expect it
> to lead to the documentation of the str _class_ (currently mostly at
> http://docs.python.org/3.2/library/stdtypes.html#string-methods), more
> or less

Yeah, that would be a better place to redirect for 'str'.

I was just pointing that I'm not sure what these URLs really gain us,
if they aren't meant to be used as the canonical URLs, since the #identified
URLs are perfectly useful as permalinks. Does having these redirects make
it easier to find these things using a search engine? If not, we gain some
neat URLs that are still only useful to those of us that actually already
know
the documentation anyway.