[Python-ideas] except expression

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Wed Feb 19 09:17:45 CET 2014

On Wed, Feb 19, 2014 at 6:53 PM, Paul Moore <p.f.moore at gmail.com> wrote:
> So having struggled to find objections to the colon syntax, I've
> reached a point where I think it's the best of the alternatives. "I
> can't find a good enough objection" isn't exactly a ringing
> endorsement, but it's the best I've got :-)

Hehe. That's one way to settle it!

If anyone does have a strong objection, I do want to hear. Sometimes a
thread like this starts piling off in one direction, and any voice
going the other way may feel like yelling into a hurricane, but a lot
of the decisions made in the PEP have been on a fairly light balance
of evidence. One good shout in a different direction could change some
of them. The 'as' clause is currently hanging in the balance, for
instance:

Pro: Consistency with try/except statement, functionality.

Con: Introduces complexity, functionality isn't used.

It's on the knife-edge. Currently it's in, but could go out more
easily than a Pommie batsman.

*dives for cover*

ChrisA