[Python-ideas] except expression

Oscar Benjamin oscar.j.benjamin at gmail.com
Wed Feb 19 15:48:38 CET 2014

On 19 February 2014 13:30, Chris Angelico <rosuav at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 19, 2014 at 11:57 PM, Oscar Benjamin
> <oscar.j.benjamin at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I don't know how common a pattern it is in other people's code but
>> something like:
>>
>> header = {
>>     'param1': foo,
>>     'param2': bar,
>> }
>>
>> try:
>>     header['paramN'] = load_from_file(baz, spam)
>> except OSError:
>>     header['paramN'] = ''
>
> That looks awesome! Do you have actual production code that looks like
> that, and if so, can I have a squiz at it? Because that's a strong
> use-case right there.

I can't really find anything like that right now. I was just thinking
that there are basically two situations where I like to use ternary
if/else: as part of a larger expression/display or in a
comprehension/generator expression. This proposal is similar but it's
hard to find the cases that would be simplified by it as they will
probably be written in a very different way right now.

Oscar