[Python-ideas] RFC: bytestring as a str representation [was: a new bytestring type?]

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Wed Jan 8 07:18:24 CET 2014

Ethan Furman writes:

 > Sounds like it doesn't help me then.  My binary stream is mixed:
 >
 >    - binary that has to be converted (4-byte ints, for example)
 >    - ascii that has to be converted (ints stored as ascii text)
 >    - encoded text (character and memo fields)
 >
 > and the precise location of each varies from file to file.

Yes, I understand all that, but without code examples (or rather
precise specification of the semantics you're implementing) I can't
discuss whether my 'ascii-compatible' (the Artist Formerly Known as
"7-bit representation") would help you write efficient and readable
code.  Cf. INADA-san's post for what would help me.