[Python-ideas] from __past__ import division, str, etc

Alejandro López Correa alc at spika.net
Thu Jan 9 01:08:23 CET 2014

2014/1/9 Mark Lawrence <breamoreboy at yahoo.co.uk>:
> On 08/01/2014 23:14, Alejandro López Correa wrote:
>>
>> I think a convenient way to run old python 2 modules along with new
>> python 3 ones may be a good idea despite the cost.
>
> One of the major costs, quoting Winston Churchill, will be blood, toil,
> tears and sweat.  How much of this are you personally intending to put into
> this effort, or are you happy to try and force core developers into a
> situation that many of them don't want to be in?

I am not trying to force anything. I am offering my views and some
ideas. Personally, I am not experiencing any problem with python 3
other than some missing third party libraries.

I am sorry if my posts seem rude (I do not know whether that is the
case). When writing in English, many times it is more like adjusting
what I want to say to what I know how to say.

That "despite the cost" was a poor choice of words. I agree that it is
not reasonable to expect a change that means "blood, toil, tears and
sweat" for the core developers when they are against it. However,
there might be easy solutions not pretty but pragmatic and that might
be implemented without polluting the main code base a lot. But again,
I am not trying to force anything but convince people. I am starting
to realise this debate has been going on for too long and it seems to
have left some scars. I am sorry, it is brand new to me.

Alejandro