[Python-ideas] Create Python 2.8 as a transition step to Python 3.x

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Sun Jan 19 04:58:59 CET 2014

Neil Schemenauer <nas-python at arctrix.com>
writes:

> On 2014-01-18, Terry Reedy wrote:
> > For application code, why does it need to be ported [to Python 3].
>
> Unless Python 2.x is going to be maintained in perpetuity then code
> will have to be ported.  This point seems obvious to me.

Maintained by whom? The PSF will stop maintaining Python 2, yes.

But that doesn't stop other parties – Red Hat, ActiveState, etc. – doing
so for whatever customers are still interested in compensating them for
their work.

So long as the cost of getting the Python interpreter maintained by
*someone* is lower than the perceived cost of porting to Python 3, the
code doesn't need to be ported.

This is a great and salient benefit of Python itself being free
software: Unlike a non-free software platform, no recipient of a
free-software Python is beholden to the vendor for ongoing maintenance.

That point seems obvious to me.

--
 \         “It is the fundamental duty of the citizen to resist and to |
  `\          restrain the violence of the state.” —Noam Chomsky, 1971 |