[Python-ideas] Create Python 2.8 as a transition step to Python 3.x

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Sun Jan 19 12:09:56 CET 2014

On 1/18/2014 8:13 PM, Neil Schemenauer wrote:
> On 2014-01-18, Terry Reedy wrote:

>> I realize that if there is actual code created, and if it's not
>> under the umbrella of the PSF, it couldn't be called "Python 2.8"
>> due to trademark reasons.

Except I did not. This is part of a quote from Martjin Faasen. You
should have left the attribution and quote marks in.

> I don't give a shit what it's called.  A Python 2 fork is going to
> happen whether the PSF blesses it or not,

The core developers said years ago that if *other* people want to make a
post 2.7 Python, just not called 'Python 2.8' (because we do care), they
are free to. We *expect* that there will be commercial support (Red Hat,
for instance) at least for keeping 2.7 updated to work on new platforms,
perhaps with a few other patches.  If you are correct about the
tremendous demand for a 'something 2.8', then some group should be able
to make money creating and selling it. However, as far as I know, no
person and no corporation has yet offered money to PSF or individual
core developers to develop a possibly PSF-blessed Python 2.8.

 > I can't believe that's even a point of discussion.

You are the one who brought it up on *this* list, where is it mostly
off-topic, because *this* list is about future Python 3 versions. That
was the point of me directing you to Faasen's 'something 2.8' discussion.

--
Terry Jan Reedy