[Python-ideas] Tail recursion elimination

Joao S. O. Bueno jsbueno at python.org.br
Sun Jan 19 12:54:42 CET 2014

On 19 January 2014 08:52, Mark Lawrence <breamoreboy at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> On 19/01/2014 07:39, musicdenotation at gmail.com wrote:
>>
>> I propose tail-call optimization to be added into CPython.
>

> Then implement it so everybody else can use it.

On a second though,  it actually could be done, at the VM level.
I am not a proponent, but after my second though I am from "-1" to "+0".

I believe that anytime one have the sequence:

             20 CALL_FUNCTION            1
             23 RETURN_VALUE

in byte code, the current stack frame could be discarded prior
to making the function call. Looking from 10000 meters, it feels
like it would not impact any other aspect of the language but for
enabling automatically tail recursion calls.

   js
 -><-