[Python-ideas] Create Python 2.8 as a transition step to Python 3.x

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Mon Jan 20 01:07:17 CET 2014

Ethan Furman <ethan at stoneleaf.us> writes:

> On 01/19/2014 03:35 PM, Ben Finney wrote:
> >
> > In other words, those who want Python 2 to continue need to either
> > bite the bullet and move their migration to Python 3 forward
>
> Um, if they want Python 2 to continue, why would they migrate to
> Python 3?

One of the often-stated justifications for wanting Python 2 to continue
is that the party wants to migrate their code base to Python 3, but
“eventually”.

With that clause, I'm pointing out that “we can't find anyone to
continue maintaining Python 2 the way we want for the price we want to
pay for the length of time we want to keep using Python 2” still leaves
the plaintiff with the option to hurry up and migrate to Python 3.

--
 \     “Airports are ugly. Some are very ugly. Some attain a degree of |
  `\        ugliness that can only be the result of a special effort.” |