[Python-ideas] str.rreplace

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Sat Jan 25 01:05:31 CET 2014

On 25 Jan 2014 04:29, "Andrew Barnert" <abarnert at yahoo.com> wrote:

> On Jan 24, 2014, at 10:20, Antoine Pitrou <solipsis at pitrou.net> wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 24 Jan 2014 20:13:26 +0200
> > Serhiy Storchaka <storchaka at gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> >> 24.01.14 19:36, Antoine Pitrou написав(ла):

> >> If open a door for rreplace, it would be not easy to close it for
rindex
> >> and rremove.
> >
> > Perhaps you underestimate our collective door closing skills ;)
>
> While we're speculatively overgeneralizing, couldn't all of the
index/find/remove/replace/etc. methods take a negative n to count from the
end, making r variants unnecessary?

Strings already provide rfind and rindex (they're just not part of the
general sequence API).

Since strings are immutable, there's also no call for an "rremove".

rreplace (pronounced as 'ar-replace", like "ar-split" et al) is more
obvious than a negative count, and seems like an almost exact parallel to
rsplit.

On the other hand, I don't recall ever lamenting its absence. Call me +0 on
the idea.

Cheers,
Nick.