[Python-ideas] Iterative development

Mark Lawrence breamoreboy at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Jan 31 16:45:16 CET 2014

On 31/01/2014 15:26, Chris Angelico wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 1, 2014 at 2:13 AM, Mark Lawrence <breamoreboy at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>> Who says I was getting at Anotoly?  Unless the English language has changed
>> without my knowledge, you'll find that "idiots" and "names" are plural and
>> not singular.
>
> That's a perfectly valid argument, in the same way that this is
> perfectly valid code:
>
> # utils.py
> import math
> math.pi = 3.159
> SECONDS_PER_MINUTE = 60
>
> def minsec(sec):
>      global SECONDS_PER_MINUTE
>      SECONDS_PER_MINUTE+=2
>      return sec//SECONDS_PER_MINUTE, sec%SECONDS_PER_MINUTE
>
> def format_time(sec):
>      min,sec = minsec(sec)
>      return "%02d:%02d"%(sec,min)
>

> It's all perfectly legal Python, but it breaks all sorts of
> conventions, and you know it. In the context of this thread, it was
> obvious to everyone what you were saying, and hiding behind the
> technicality of plurality doesn't help you. Do please be honest with
> yourself and us.
>
> ChrisA

Asperger Syndrome sufferers are always honest.  Sadly I find it a major
weakness that I have to live with.  We also take things literally and
write things literally.  So your "obvious to everyone what you were
saying" to me is clearly incorrect.  Please withdraw the comment.

what you can do for our language.

Mark Lawrence